Recording, transfer tax, copy and search fees, as of October 1, 2016:
- For entering and recording a document, regardless of the number of pages, $30
- Transfer Tax Fees: Total value of real property must be stated on the face of the document or a real estate valuation affidavit must be attached. Transfer tax shall be collected on the total value of the land being transferred, unless it is exempt from either or both Real Estate Transfer Tax acts; the exemptions(s) must be stated on the instrument. If the value of the real estate transferred is $100 or more, and the document is not exempt, the rate of County tax is 55 cents for each $500 or fraction thereof of value of consideration and the rate of State tax is $3.75 for each $500 or fraction thereof of value of consideration. Also see the Transfer Tax Rate Chart (PDF). MCL 48.101, 207.502, 207.504, 207.505, 207.511, 207.525, 207.526, 207.533, 600.2567
- Tax Certification: Warranty deeds, deeds that contain a covenant of warranty, land contract, assignment of land contracts, master deeds or amendments to master deeds adding property to the condo must have a tax certificate.
- $5 to certify up to twenty-five (25) parcel description
- Each addition parcel description, twenty cents (20¢) each
- For a document that assigns or discharges more than 1 instrument, $3 for each additional instrument assigned or discharged (in addition to the $30 recording fee)
- A copy of any record or papers $1 per page
- A copy of any record or document page over tabloid-size paper, $3 per page
- To certify a recorded document $5 + $1 per page
- For searching the records and files, on request, by the office of the register of deeds, 50 cents (50¢) for each year for which grantor/grantee searches are made, with a minimum fee of $5
The Register of Deeds' office is unable to process checks made payable to other county departments. Document packets including payments for other county departments will be rejected and returned requesting exact payment.