Michigan law prohibits leaves, grass clippings, garden debris, shrubbery, brush or tree trimmings less than 4 feet in length and 2 inches in diameter from being disposed of in landfills. The following companies/agencies accept yard waste. Please call directly for details:
- Local Municipalities: many municipalities off Fall curbside leaf collection and seasonal curbside collection of other yard waste. Call your township, village, or city hall to learn of local services.
- Local Waste Hauler or Disposal Service: call your waste service provider to find out if yard waste recycling service is available.
- Michiana Recycling & Disposal: 33541 Reum Rd., Niles, 269-687-5865. www.michianarecyclinganddisposal.com. Accepts: Grass clippings, leaves, and brush. Fees apply.
- Orchard Hill Landfill, Compost: 3290 Hennessey Rd., Watervliet, 269-463-5588, www.myorchardhill.com. Accepts: Grass clippings, leaves, and brush for on-site composting. Fees apply.
- Southeast Berrien County Landfill, Compost: 1540 Mayflower Rd., Niles. 269-695-2500 x210. www.sebclandfill.com. Accepts: Grass and leaves, wood chips and brush (<1” diameter). Fees apply.
Grasscycling simply means leaving your grass clippings on the lawn when you mow. Grasscycling will save you time not having to handle the bag and will provide a natural nitrogen fertilizer to your lawn.
View the Composting Page for additional information.