How do I?
2149 E. Napier
Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Phone: (269) 926-7121
Take the guesswork out of parenting!
Every family is different, yet families all over the world face problems that are surprisingly similar. Toddler tantrums, fighting at home or at school, the child who won't go to bed or never seems to listen. The issues you deal with in your home affect families everywhere. That's where Triple P can help!
Triple P - a Positive Parenting Program - can help you:
How does Triple P Work?
The great thing is that Triple P is not a "one-size-fits-all". You choose how much positive parenting help you need and how you get it. With Triple P, you can do as much, or as little, as you like.
At the Berrien County Health Department, parents can find the support they need that is right for their family:
One-on-One consultations about specific parenting concerns such as disobedience, fighting with siblings, whining, or tantrums.
Seminars or group discussions that offer solutions to common parenting issues like encouraging good behavior, developing good bedtime routines, setting realistic expectations, and managing misbehavior.
Group classes that meet multiple times to help parents tackle on-going issues, set goals for change, and improve parent-child relationships.
5 Simple Steps to Positive Parenting
1. Create a safe, interesting environment: A safe home with interesting things to do will help keep your child active, ready to explore, and encourages the development of new skills.
2. Have a positive learning environment: A supportive, nurturing home where children's efforts are acknowledged and they receive praise and attention will encourage good behavior.
3. Use assertive discipline: Setting clear ground rules that are consistently enforced in a calm and predictable way will help reduce misbehavior and encourage good behavior.
4. Have realistic expectations: Every child is different and nobody is perfect - positive parenting strategies work best when you have fair and realistic expectations of your child and yourself.
5. Take care of yourself as a parent: Parenting is so much easier when you make time for yourself. Getting your own needs met will help you feel more patient and calm when your child needs you.
Berrien County ParentNet connects parents to the resources in the community that are available to families - whether it be health care, schools, fun activities or parenting support. On this website you can find a calendar of events, ideas for family fun, and information about parenting children of all ages.
If you are a Triple P Provider, please click here for client tracking forms, assessment information, and evaluation guidelines.